Updated Sunday 15 May, 2011 12:18 PM

   Headlines  |  Alternate Histories  |  International Edition


Home Page

Announcements 

Alternate Histories

International Edition

List of Updates

Want to join?

Join Writer Development Section

Writer Development Member Section

Join Club ChangerS

Editorial

Chris Comments

Book Reviews

Blog

Letters To The Editor

FAQ

Links Page

Terms and Conditions

Resources

Donations

Alternate Histories

International Edition

Alison Brooks

Fiction

Essays

Other Stuff

Authors

If Baseball Integrated Early

Counter-Factual.Net

Today in Alternate History

This Day in Alternate History Blog



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Back on Track for '76" by Steve Payne

Author says: what if Reuben Flagg succeeded in putting it all back together? This crossover post is based on a non-dystopian variant ending to Howard Chaykin's ingenious 1983 comic, "American Flagg". Please note that the opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of the author(s).


In 2069, July 20th: as part of the programme of events to get America "back on track for '76", the Tricentennial Recovery Committee celebrated the hundredth anniversary of the Apollo Eleven mission by showcasing the new full-size Lunar reconstruction of Mount Rushmore.
Watch the Youtube American Flagg! Howard Chaykin Review Part 1

"Somebody's gotta put it all back together... Reuben Flagg just might be the man".This highly symbolic event marked the most notable triumph of American technology prowess prior to the collapse of western civilization during the so-called "year of domino" when the original Mount Rushmore had been destroyed. Because in 1996 a series of worldwide crises had forced the U.S. government and the heads of major corporations to relocate to Hammarskjold Center, on Mars ("temporarily, of course").

And former President Reuben Flagg (pictured) paid tribute to the valued contribution of Russian engineers from the former Soviet lunar colony of Gagaringrad who had worked tirelessly alongside Martian-based technicians to make the grand opening possible.

Of course bigger challenges lay ahead for the next seven years. Because the U.S. government and the heads of major corporations had yet to effect a return to Earth. In fact during the 'thirties, it was widely rumoured that the giant, interplanetary union of corporate and government known as the Plex was seriously considering selling the continental United States as real estate to the Brazilian Union of the Americas and the Pan-African League who had become the new superpowers on Earth during their absence.

Flagg, who had played no small part in preventing that outcome, had refused to entertain the suggestion that his own image be used as a fifth face, on the new monument.

Author says original content has been repurposed to celebrate the author's genius © American Flagg, Howard Chaykin, 1983. To view guest historian's comments on this post please visit the Today in Alternate History web site.

Steve Payne, Editor of Today in Alternate History, a Daily Updating Blog of Important Events In History That Never Occurred Today. Follow us on Facebook, Myspace and Twitter.

Imagine what would be, if history had occurred a bit differently. Who says it didn't, somewhere? These fictional news items explore that possibility. Possibilities such as America becoming a Marxist superpower, aliens influencing human history in the 18th century and Teddy Roosevelt winning his 3rd term as president abound in this interesting fictional blog.


Sitemetre

Site Meter

 

Hit Counter