New, daily updating edition

Headlines  |  Alternate Histories  |  International Edition


Home Page

Announcements 

Alternate Histories

International Edition

List of Updates

Want to join?

Join Writer Development Section

Writer Development Member Section

Join Club ChangerS

Editorial

Chris Comments

Book Reviews

Blog

Letters To The Editor

FAQ

Links Page

Terms and Conditions

Resources

Donations

Alternate Histories

International Edition

Alison Brooks

Fiction

Essays

Other Stuff

Authors

If Baseball Integrated Early

Counter-Factual.Net

Today in Alternate History

This Day in Alternate History Blog


Site Meter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eurofighter Typhoon: 1938

 

A Time-Slip alters the course of World War Two

Christopher G. Nuttall

The Eurofighter Typhoon is a jet fighter designed and built by a number of European countries, including Britain, Germany, Spain and Italy.  The jet is intended to replace the Tornado in the UK and allow standardisation between most of the EU air forces.  The four-nation Eurofighter Typhoon is a foreplane delta-wing, beyond-visual-range, close air fighter aircraft with surface attack capability. Eurofighter has 'supercruise' capability: it can fly at sustained speeds of over Mach 1 without the use of afterburner.

As well as an internally mounted 27mm Mauser gun, the Eurofighter Typhoon has 13 hard points for weapon carriage: four under each wing and five under the fuselage. An armament control system (ACS) manages weapons selection and firing, and monitors weapon status.  Depending on role, the fighter can carry the following mix of missiles:

  • Air-superiority: six BVRAAM (Beyond Visual Range)/AMRAAM air-to-air missiles on semi-recessed fuselage stations and two ASRAAM short-range air-to-air missiles on the outer pylons
  • Air interdiction: four AMRAAM, two ASRAAM, two cruise missiles and two anti-radar missiles (ARM)
  • SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defences): four AMRAAM, two ASRAAM, six anti-radar missiles
  • Multi-role: three AMRAAM, two ASRAAM, two ARM and two GBU-24 Paveway III
  • Close air support: four AMRAAM, two ASRAAM, 18 Brimstone anti-armour missile
  • Maritime attack: four AMRAAM, two ASRAAM, six anti-ship missiles

Now, what if one of these happened to slip back in time to 1938, a time of counties trying desperately to prepare and to stave off a war that would devastate Europe.  Hitler was rattling the sabre and threatening war if his demands are not met.  While the British, under Neville Chamberlain, are frantically preparing for war and trying to persuade Hitler out of more conquests, a Eurofighter from 2002 crash-lands in Scotland.  To make matters worse, it carries German markings!

There are three possible combinations that could happen here:

1.      The plane’s pilot survives and can be interrogated.  In which case, the British will figure out what happened (the plane fell back in time and is not one of the rumoured German secret weapons) and can help them use the secrets of the advanced technology. 

2.      The plane’s pilot does not survive.  In which case the British will be feeling very paranoid and naked (the plane ‘reached’ Scotland without being detected and apparent trouble) and this will affect their negoating position. 

3.      The plane crashes hard enough to be unrecognisable.  This probably means an earlier war as the British see it as a direct attack on the British home islands. 

Personally, I believe that option 2 offers the most possibility for an interesting alternate history.  So, read on….

In OTL, Hitler prepared to strike again soon after Germany absorbed Austria in March 1938.  German territory then bordered Czechoslovakia on three sides.  Czechoslovakia had become an independent nation after World War I.  Its population consisted of many nationalities, including more than 3 million people of German descent.  Hitler sought control of the Sudetenland, a region of western Czechoslovakia where most of the Germans lived.  Urged on by Hitler, the Sudeten Germans began to clamour for union with Germany.  This was very important because if it went though, Czechoslovakia would become indefensible: the Sudetenland had the best defensive terrain, a lot of smokestack industries and the Czech version of the Maginot line.  The Czechs, obviously enough, wanted to fight. 

While Chamberlain attempts to talk Hitler out of his demands, a farmer up near Leeming rings the local police station and reports ‘a jerry plane has come down in my fields’.  While the local police are not so concerned, they send a constable round to investigate what they believe (due to government propaganda) is a false report or a case of drunkenness.  When the constable gets there, he finds the crashed Typhoon and the dead pilot.  Not being an aircraft expert, he won’t realize that the plane is anything unusual, although he might be impressed by the aura of deadliness from the shape of the plane. 

When he calls the RAF, they’ll send a crash inspection team round and that is when history starts changing.  The minute they see the plane, they’ll realize that it’s a quantum leap ahead of anything the RAF has, even on the drawing board.  A veil of secrecy will be drawn over the crash and Chamberlain will be informed.

In 1938, the western intelligence services were reporting – incorrectly - that nazi Germany was far ahead of the west in arms and other military matters.  In ATL, they have ‘proof’ of their claims and Chamberlain will be terrified of Germany.  British insistence on Czech independence, lukewarm at best, will be quietly withdrawn.  French Premier Edouard Daladier, unaware of the plane crash, will be forced to stand alone and will therefore also be forced to withdraw.  Hitler demands that the Czech’s surrender the territory.

In OTL, Chamberlain had several meetings with Hitler during September 1938 as Europe teetered on the edge of war.  Hitler raised his demands at each meeting.  On September 29, Chamberlain and Daladier met with Hitler and Mussolini in Munich, Germany and agreed to turn over the Sudetenland to Germany, and they forced Czechoslovakia to accept the agreement.  Hitler promised that he had no more territorial demands.  In ATL, the Czechs decide to fight, as they are not having their arms twisted and quiet support from the British and French of supplies. 

Just how well the invasion of Czechoslovakia would proceed is unknown.  It may well serve as the event that breaks Hitler’s power if the attacks do very badly, however, the Germans could use the techniques that won them the Battle of France to defeat the Czechs.  Therefore, lets assume that the Germans manage to defeat the Czechs in early 1939 and occupy the whole country.  They can do this by bypassing the defences by going though Austria, (occupied March 1938), offering to split territory with Hungary (who did help out in 1939 OTL), Poland and Italy.  However, even a German victory has serious consequences for Germany.  For example:

1.      In OTL, the Germans captured a large number of Czech tanks and added them to their forces just in time for the invasions of Poland and France.  In ATL, most of those tanks are destroyed.

2.      Following on from that, most of the German tanks will also be destroyed.  Germany will be too weak to invade Poland in 1939

3.      Poland will be more intimidated than in OTL.  They will spare no expanse to build up their army.  Same goes for the Soviets, French and British. 

4.      The importance of air power will be re-empersised, including air borne troops and their potential power.  The British will strengthen Malta and the Dutch their fortresses. 

5.      Italy is now convinced that Germany owes them a debt. 

Therefore, in March 1939, we have a Czechoslovakia overrun by German forces, taking very heavy casualties and split between Germany, Hungary, Poland and Italy.  Germany is now too weak to invade Poland on schedule and her economic problems are about to come home to roost. 

The British desperate study of the Eurofighter continues.  Despite strong political pressure, discoveries come very slowly.  Some things are very simple and familiar, for example, Frank Whittle, a British engineer, patented the jet engine in the early 1930's.  This allows the British to figure out how the jet engine works and begin development of a jet plane.  Bering more resemblance to one from 1950, the British Meteor jet is produced in 1939.  This was always possibly, British official ignorance and scepticism made it impossible until 1941, when they were tested in OTL. 

The missiles give them ideas, even though they can’t duplicate them or figure out how they work until they have an accident and manage to launch one, which homes in on a fire and blows up a building.  That allows them to realize that they seek heat, although they can’t figure out how.  Ironically, that might give them the idea for Bazookas like in my Bazooka Benito AH.  

The radar, while far more advanced than any British one at the time, does give them ideas for equipping their aircraft with radar.  The bigger British aircraft could carry a radar set and they now have some idea how to miniaturise them. 

However, much of the more important technology is based on computers and silicon that simply is unduplicaiable in 1939.  There may be a revolution in computing, but they will not jump straight into 2002 levels. 

[Author’s Note:  Re-looking at this, it does seem a little like HTs ‘WorldWar’ series.  Many of the problems experienced by Goldfarb and co there would also appear here.  However, there are no lizards here.  Very much a mixed blessing]

In Germany, the weakened state of the realm leads to discontent on many levels.  Military men see their army damaged in futile attacks to conquer a worthless country.  Economists see that Germany can no longer sustain the ‘guns and butter’ economy and that the bills are coming due.  Therefore, a number of groups prepare for an attempt on Hitler’s life.  Heydrich, Himmler, Goering, all high-rankers within the nazi hierarchy, are all concerned about being dragged down with Hitler.  Germany, 1939, is not a safe place anymore.  On September 1st, 1939, Himmler’s SS and Gestapo attempts a coup, blowing up a building with Hitler in and attempting to kill the army leadership.  Unfortunately, Hitler survives the blast, though he remains in a coma for six months and only a quarter of the army leadership is wiped out.  Exhorted by news of Himmler’s attempt to kill Hitler, the army and most of the people fight a bloody near civil war, which ends with Himmler being shot by a firing squad.  Goering ends up as nominal Reich chancellor, although real power rests with the army.  The navy and air force find themselves subordinated to a military directorship. 

While this goes on, a number of prominent German scientists, including Werner Heisenberg, Werner Von Braun and Nils Bohr flee the country, ending up in Britain.  They swiftly find themselves caught up in the Eurofighter study project and other British projects.  In OTL, Heisenberg assured Hitler – falsely - that an atomic bomb would take more than three years to build, while his motive are unclear, he does not inform the British of this and offers to assist the British project.  The compact nature of the German scientific programs now works in their favour, as none of the scientists can assure the British that the Eurofighter is not a German plane.  However, the British are starting to have doubts about the origins of the Eurofighter, as no such planes were observed during the battle of Czechoslovakia.  However, the Czech’s did record a new type of plane, the Stuka, which means that the British cannot gamble on the Germans not having built the Eurofighter. 

Meanwhile, in May to September 1939 Japan and the Soviet Union fought a fierce, large-scale undeclared war on the Mongolian plains that ended with a decisive Soviet victory with two important results: Japan reoriented its strategic emphasis toward the south, leading to war with the United States, Britain, and the Netherlands; and Russia freed itself from the fear of fighting on two fronts, thus vitally affecting the course of the war with Germany. 

In OTL, Hitler interrupted the Soviet gloating and preparations for a further offensive by offering them a pact to divide Poland between them.  Here, Hitler is still in a coma and the Soviets are not interested because Germany is in disarray.  Therefore, Stalin orders the Red Army to continue into Manchuria until the Japanese surrender or are pushed back into the sea.  The Japanese hit back by ordering carrier air strikes on the Soviet ports such as Vladivostok, airplane attacks on Soviet troop formations and Calvary raids far behind Soviet lines.  Soviet tanks, however, are far better than Japanese ones and they push though Japanese lines like paper whenever Japanese air cover is not provided.  Desperately, the Japanese try to produce a new tank and attempt to arrange foreign allies.  They approach the British.

Chamberlain strikes a hard bargain.  He is prepared to sell tanks to Japan in exchange for a non-aggression pact and Japanese naval support in the event of a full-scale war with Germany.  The Japanese duly agree and, British Matilda, with 50mm armour and 40mm gun, tanks are dispatched to the far east.  They manage to help slow down the Soviets and some intact models of early Soviet T-34s fall into Japanese hands.  The Japanese and the British rapidly begin a program to build a heaver tank. 

The Poles also send what little help they can, as they have some interest in seeing the USSR distracted.  Soviet codes, which are broken, can help the Japanese to catch soviet tanks on the move and strafe them from aircraft or encircle and destroy them. 

Stalin is not amused by this turn of events.  He continues the advance into Manchuria and supplies arms to the communist Chinese.  He also delivers strong warnings to Britain and builds up forces in the Caucasus to probe into Iran if necessary.  As 1940 appears, the world appears to be about to go up in flames again.  As the Soviets advance in China, there is a red scare around the globe.  Communists are arrested and expelled from their countries.  In France, communists fight back and have to be suppressed by the army. 

So, where are we now?  Its early 1940, and events have taken a very different path.  Germany is now ruled by a military dictatorship, the USSR is conquering large parts of China and the Japanese have their hands full trying to contain it.  Germany is far weaker than it was in OTL because many of their tanks were destroyed or damaged in the Czech campaign and they were unable to capture replacements.  Worse, many of the highly trained man that Hitler inherited from the secret preparations after world war one are dead and the German army is too poor to recruit more troops.  The German economy is in very bad shape and military spending has had to be cut down. 

France is terrified.  She is standing alone now and fears that she may be attacked by Germany at any minute.  They don’t know why the British abandoned them, but they suspect that it has something to do with the rumours of the atomic bomb and secret alliances.  France may well face a military coup soon.    

The Soviet Union is doing well for itself.  The German threat has been removed for a while and the addition of new territory has cheered Stalin up a great deal.  The British tanks, sold to the Japanese, have been an irritant, but the Soviets have more and better tanks anyway.  Even better, Stalin now has the excuse, if he wants to, to invade Iran and push from there into India or Iraq.  Either will allow him the chance to completely destabilise the British Empire.  The bad news is that the Comitern has been neutered by the arrest or expulsion of most of its agents.  However, Stalin still thinks that their Russian military will be sufficient to ensure communist victory.  

The Japanese are desperate.  They are faced with loosing all their territory in China and possibly being invaded by the USSR.  That’s nonsense at the moment, but they may well be pushed off the mainland completely.  Their best bet is to make peace on the best terms they can get, but Stalin is not inclined to listen.  They have had some successes when the Soviets push offensives too far and they can encircle them, but on the whole, Japan is losing. 

Britain is in the best position of all, although they don’t know that yet.  By 1940, she is fielding a great number of jet fighters, which are more advanced than the later war versions of OTL.  Research into rockets and guided missiles has also borne fruit.  Other sciences, such as metallurgy, and competing, have also received a boost.  Chamberlain is seen as a hero for allowing Germany to wreak herself and for the non-aggression pact with Japan.  If Britain gets the atomic bomb first, the British Empire might survive for several more years. 

In the long run, as science advances, the British will be at the forefront.  As technology gets more advanced, their ability to understand parts of the Eurofighter will also expand.  As those advances spin off into other areas, look for Britain becoming the computing and rocketry centre of the world.  At a rough guess, 2002 level technology will be reached by 1970.  In such circumstances, I expect the USSR to collapse earlier, because their tech base was pushed to the limit in OTL, here, they’ll have to go beyond the limit in order to survive.

Question:  Would the Czech’s really have been beaten?  Probably.  The Germans were better at warfare and they have Czechoslovakia surrounded on almost all sides.  The cost would be enormous though.

Question:  Would Chamberlain really have abandoned the French and Czechs?   Why not?  He believed that Germany had a decisive edge and abandoning the Czech’s, at least, was pretty much what he did in OTL anyway. 

Question: Would Poland really have helped the Germans?  That is effectively what they did in OTL, Poland acquiesced in the dismemberment of their only nearby natural ally in return for the town of Teschen.  Here, they might get more if they actively helped out the Germans.  Yes, it was a bloody stupid thing to do, but OTL is full of those.  

Question: Would there have really been a coup in Germany?  Hundreds of people and factions had a vested interest in seeing Germany expand or avoiding blame for a German defeat.  The army, the Gestapo, the SS, the list is endless.  Not to mention people who the Nazis have persecuted, like the Jews, who might want Hitler dead.  The real question is: who will strike first and therefore either seize the initiative or be defeated by the others who will then disguise their own coup by claiming that it is a response to the first one. 

Question:  Why 1938?  Well, if the plane appeared in WW1 or earlier, there would be no basis for understanding what it was or how to use it to jumpstart the current projects.  After 1939, it would cause panic, but no real change in the politics of the time. 

Question: Would Hisenberg and the others really have fled Germany?  I don’t know for sure, that’s a wild card of history.  He did tell Hitler that the bomb would take more than three years to build, therefore delaying the German project until it was too late.  He was suspected of Pro-allied sympathies in OTL. 

Question:  Would the Soviets really do so well against the Japanese?  Historically, when the WW2 Japanese army came up against an even nominally superior foe, they lost.  Singapore is perhaps the only exception to this rule and it involved circumstances that simply did not apply at Nomonhan.  Zhukov was an excellent general and he won in OTL anyway.  Chris’s fourth rule of AH writing, whatever happened, happens – Unless there’s a good reason why it should not. 

Question:  What happened to the pilot of the Eurofighter?  He’s dead.   Read more carefully next time!!

What do you think?