Updated Sunday 15 May, 2011 12:18 PM

   Headlines  |  Alternate Histories  |  International Edition


Home Page

Announcements 

Alternate Histories

International Edition

List of Updates

Want to join?

Join Writer Development Section

Writer Development Member Section

Join Club ChangerS

Editorial

Chris Comments

Book Reviews

Blog

Letters To The Editor

FAQ

Links Page

Terms and Conditions

Resources

Donations

Alternate Histories

International Edition

Alison Brooks

Fiction

Essays

Other Stuff

Authors

If Baseball Integrated Early

Counter-Factual.Net

Today in Alternate History

This Day in Alternate History Blog



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Rorschach's Journal" by Steve Payne

Author says: what happens after the cliffhanger ending to the 1987 comic The Watchmen? Please note that the opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of the author(s).


In 1985, December 2nd: following the publication of Rorschach's Journal in the New Frontiersman, Senator John David Keene demanded the formation of a committee of the United States House of Representatives to investigate the allegations against Veidt Enterprises.
Click to watch The Keene Act & YOU (1977) on Youtube

"Initially the government and the public, or portions of it, would turn more against "superheroes" than they already were (basicially somewhat reminiscent of what Marvel did with it's "Civil War" story a few years ago), but ultimately Keene would be disgraced and the "superheroes" will be prominent again..." Readers CommentFirst elected as a Republican Senator in 1972, four years later Keene allied himself with the New York Police Officer's Union on protesting at the liberties taken by the masked adventurers. The following year after the Police Strike, he tabled the infamous Keene Act, which banned costumed crime-fighters save those sanctioned by the government. Though The Crimebusters were forced to stop their crime-fighting ways, some (namely Rorschach) chose not to stop, wreaking havoc and evading the police instead.

And so despite this emergency Registration Act, it now appeared that the so-called Watchmen had continued their activities illegally over the past nine years. Most disturbingly perhaps, the spirit of a bogus uniting threat from Doctor Manhattan had been manufactured by the megalomaniac Adrian Veidt.

Already, Keene was being hailed as a leading candidate for the 1988 race when five-term President Richard Nixon was finally planning to retire from the White House. However the relevations in Rorschach's Journal were threatening to destroy his legacy, raising fresh questions about the addition of his image as a fifth face on Mount Rushmore.

Author says original content has been repurposed to celebrate the author's genius © American Flagg, Howard Chaykin, 1983. To view guest historian's comments on this post please visit the Today in Alternate History web site. Spoiler from Watchmen the movie ~ I must be one the few hardcore old-school fans who doesn't care a bit about the squid and might actually prefer it be left out, provided the spirit of a uniting threat (which is the really important part, as far as the theme and plot go) is left in. But was there really, truly any indication that the New Frontiersman possibly publishing Rorschach's journal, thereby undoing everything that Veidt has worked so hard to accomplish is getting left out, too? This last thing is a major deal breaker for me. The cliffhanger ending is, IMO, one of the greatest endings to any story/piece of literature. It was really powerful for me to be left eternally hanging, not knowing what might happen. I could have sworn that there was earlier confirmation that this was in. Also, why include the journal at all (I've seen it in shots from the movie} if you're not going to do this? Does anyone have any idea what the deal is with this?

Steve Payne, Editor of Today in Alternate History, a Daily Updating Blog of Important Events In History That Never Occurred Today. Follow us on Facebook, Myspace and Twitter.

Imagine what would be, if history had occurred a bit differently. Who says it didn't, somewhere? These fictional news items explore that possibility. Possibilities such as America becoming a Marxist superpower, aliens influencing human history in the 18th century and Teddy Roosevelt winning his 3rd term as president abound in this interesting fictional blog.


Sitemetre

Site Meter

 

Hit Counter