Updated Sunday 15 May, 2011 12:18 PM

   Headlines  |  Alternate Histories  |  International Edition


Home Page

Announcements 

Alternate Histories

International Edition

List of Updates

Want to join?

Join Writer Development Section

Writer Development Member Section

Join Club ChangerS

Editorial

Chris Comments

Book Reviews

Blog

Letters To The Editor

FAQ

Links Page

Terms and Conditions

Resources

Donations

Alternate Histories

International Edition

Alison Brooks

Fiction

Essays

Other Stuff

Authors

If Baseball Integrated Early

Counter-Factual.Net

Today in Alternate History

This Day in Alternate History Blog



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Suppose the USSR discovered The Enterprise

 

A loose idea based on the novels by Nick Pope.  These provided the inspiration for 'Fallen Angel'.

 

As we know from Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike, before roughly 2010, the existence of the Grey Aliens was kept a secret from almost everyone aside from a few high-ranking members of the US infrastructure, known collectively as ‘The Enterprise’ 

The Alien presence was revealed to The Enterprise by the crash of a UFO at Roswell, However, before anything meaningful could be discovered from the craft, a second craft arrived to attempt to recover their comrades.  This revealed to the US intelligence organizations the existence of their visitors, but nothing about their abilities, motivation and origin, to say nothing of their objectives.

We can only imagine how terrified and alone those officers felt, knowing this and knowing that they dare not reveal the truth to the world.  They formed the group, called in jest ‘the Enterprise’ and started to develop a viable defensive capability against them.  In time, they discovered the existence of the alien base at Bentwaters, and, in the aftermath of World War Two and the beginnings of the Cold War, established a USAF base nearby to monitor Alien Activity. Aside from one officer, no one in the British Government had any knowledge of the true situation. 

It is not clear when contact was first established, as versions differ.  What seems most likely is that contact was first established either at the Bentwaters incident, or sometime shortly before.  The then head of the NSA, and nominal head of the Enterprise, Edwin Van Buran, was transported to the Alien Mothership and the power of the aliens was demonstrated.  A limited communications channel was opened up.

Giving Van Buran a mixture of Threats and Promises, the Aliens struck a deal with him.  Like the Race of Harry Turtledove, they were surprised and alarmed by the speed of Earthy technological advance, and wanted some influence on Earth.  They supplied some advanced technology and promised that they would integrate themselves into the American Political system, rather than the Soviets. 

The Enterprise kept the secret, while trying to build a defense, until 2010, when the RAF had the luck (or unluck) to discover that they could track the UFO’s to some degree.  Attempts to intercept the mystery craft resulted in the new Eurofighter Typhoons being shot down.  The new war elasitcaticated until the second Battle of Britain, when the aliens tried to destroy or degrade the UK air defense network to hide their activities at Bentwaters.  This attempt failed and the base was self-destructed to avoid it falling into British hands. 

The Aliens gave no instructions to their Enterprise ‘allies’ and their desperate attempts to hide the secret revealed their own existence, blowing the conspiracy wide open.

Some few years later, not more than five, the alien mothership arrives.  After a cursory attempt at negotiation, the aliens are attacked by the Enterprise using biological weapons, and launch a full-scale invasion.  At the end of Operation Lightning Strike, despite a valiant fight, the Aliens are starting their colonization of Earth.  The Air forces and SHORAD units, due to lack of numbers after the end of the cold war, are unable to stop them.

Now, suppose that the secret of the Aliens existence is revealed to the world before the end of the cold war by the USSR

Its does not matter that much when the USSR figurers out, but for the purposes of the sercrenio, I am going to assume that it happens just after the Rendlesham forest incident, at Bentwaters.  A KGB spy figures out the truth and sends it to Russia.  The USSR is faced with three choices

1)      They can lay it all before the UN Security Council, and embarrass the US into sharing the technology.  This has the advantage of damaging British-American relations, as the British will be annoyed at the US betrayal.  This would also damage the US as it would raise doubts about the current presidents control of his establishment.

2)      They can privately threaten the US with nuclear war unless the secrets are shared.  This is encouraged by the views that if the US has gained a decisive military advantage, better to fight the war now and risk mutual destruction.

3)      They can try to capture a UFO of their own.  The USSR cannot know much about the aliens, so would be unsure about the wisdom of this course.  This runs the risk that the US and the Aliens would fight a war against the USSR.

For the sake of the story, I have decided to run it by assuming that the USSR takes it to the UN.  NATO is incensed.  The British are still led by Thatcher, but she is facing a rebellion in her own ranks.  A CONSERVATIVE MP is forcing though a private members bill to search the US bases in Britain to find further details.  This unnerves the Enterprise, who try to lean on the US government to prevent this.  However, US foreign policy has been shattered and NATO is shivering and may fall apart.  The USSR, to throw TNT onto the fire, demands that British forces attack the alien base at Bentwaters with Soviet troops to ‘assist’.  Thatcher herself wants to attack the base, but does not to lose the US bases, which are essencal to the defense of Britain.  Alternatively, she does not want soviet troops on British soil.  The USSR quietly threatens a nuclear strike on the alien base unless the base is attacked.  Thatcher tenitivly orders an attack to be prepared.

Meanwhile, all is not well back in the USSR, to clear the board to defend against the new/old threat, soviet troops crush ‘solitary’ in Poland and occupy the other countries of the Warsaw pact directly.  This leads to new unrest all across the USSR.  China meanwhile offers the USSR a new pact.  This starts to destabilize the world order. 

Eventually, Thatcher orders the US bases on British soil to be occupied by British troops.  The US is incensed, but acquiesced with a face-saving gesture of selling the bases to Britain at a knockdown price.  The US men move to Germany. 

Then the assault on the Alien base begins…..

Well, how should it continue?  Comments?  Questions?